Welcome to The Only Constant - Video Collective Blog / Discussion Board

Hello all and welcome to The Only Constant video collective blog. We are The Only Constant, a collective of emerging video and filmmakers based in London. Our ethos is to challenge visual taboos and create forward thinking moving images. Our aim? To rant, rave and INSPIRE.

If you would like to get involved in the discussions on our blog, get involved in our collective or submit work for our Video Is The Only Constant screening and open discussion evenings at Corsica Studios please contact us on: theonlyconstant@ymail.com


Monday 29 March 2010

Video Is The Only Constant April 7th 2010: Sarah Carrea


'Petrella Tifernina'

Petrella Tifernina is a short documentary exploring my romanticised view of Italy and contrasts this with my grandmother’s stories of the country and her reasons for moving to England. I travelled to Petrella, the village where my grandmother was born, to discover more about my Italian heritage and to understand why she left.
The film explores the struggle of Italy’s poor agricultural workers, as there were many Italians that came to Britain in search of work in the late 1950s; many later returned to Italy, but for her own reasons my grandmother did not.

The film begins with a letter which my grandmother wrote for me after she found out I was making this film. As she could not travel with me, my gran sends a message to her brother in Italy, who she has not seen for twenty years. The film combines moving image with still photography, black and white with colour, and old with new, to compare my perceptions with my grandmother's memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment